The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Saturday, March 26, 2005

EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES... CROSSFIRE!

Another bright idea from our friends at the NRA in the aftermath of the recent school shooting in Minnesota:
All options should be considered to prevent rampages like the Minnesota school shooting that took 10 lives — including making guns available to teachers, a top National Rifle Association leader said Friday.

"I'm not saying that that means every teacher should have a gun or not, but what I am saying is we need to look at all the options at what will truly protect the students," the NRA's first vice president, Sandra S. Froman, told The Associated Press.

(...)

Froman said if it is the responsibility of teachers to protect students in a school, "then we as a society, we as a community have to provide a way for the teachers to do that."

Froman cited the 1997 school shooting incident in Pearl, Miss., where a teacher retrieved a gun from his car when a student opened fire, then held the student at bay until police arrived.
Coming up next, guns for librarians? Lunch ladies? Student council? I'll tell ya, as a former appointed member of my high school's government in 1998-1999, I sure wouldn't have minded having a piece of my own to enforce my position on what the prom theme should have been. ("Damnit, we're going with 'A Tron Christmas', and Mr 9-millimeter agrees!")

Of course, I'm sure Mary Rosh thinks it's a good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home