The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Monday, September 27, 2004

COMING TO UC SANTA BARBARA

Lots of great events coming soon, for those of you in the UCSB area.

Tuesday, Sept 28: Dennis Ross, the Ambassador long involved with the Middle East peace process, 8pm, Campbell Hall, $8 (6 for students). I will be at a UCSB Campus Democrats meeting, and thus will be unable to attend.

Sunday, October 10: Seymour Hersh, the journalist who exposed My Lai and Abu Ghraib (No, look over there! Dan Rather put up a piece of paper! Much worse! Heh.). I'm so there. ($12, 10 for students) Hersh wrote a book about Abu Ghraib and its importance, titled Chain of Command. Hmm, it's about torture, and it's called Chain of Command... I had no idea Sy Hersh was a Trekkie!

Monday, October 11: Chris Hedges, former NY Times War Correspondent, and author of an incredibly powerful book on the nature of war. Again, I'm there. ($10, 8 for students)

Sunday, October 17: Chalmers Johnson, author of The Sorrows of Empire and the influential Blowback, a book that proved quite prescient after 9/11. One of my friends has my pre-9/11 first edition paperback copy, so my chances at an autograph are in doubt. ($8, 6 for students)

And if you need to get bummed out,

Thursday, November 18: Alice Sebold. I think I'll invite my sister up for that one. ($15, 10 for students)

On the music front, you ask?

I don't have price figures for these, but they're sure to be much higher.

October 10: Branford Marsalis, famous saxophonist of the Marsalis family, former Tonight Show bandleader. Back in 99 I saw his trumpeter brother Wynton perform at Stanford, mostly Ellington stuff, not bad at all.

October 29: The Jazz Passengers with Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3-D. This will be a mixed-medium performance, with the jazz band playing along to a projection of the classic horror movie. Should be fascinating.

November 3: Angelique Kidjo. Cool.

November 8: Etta James, cool. Expensive, no doubt, but cool.

On the spoken-word/comedy front, December 1 brings the 80% annoying, 20% funny John Leguizamo. Two and a half seasons from now, though, we get David Sedaris on April 25. Another one to invite my sister up for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home