The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

TWO TOWERS SPECIAL EDITION
(finally, all the drugs, distant tree violence and flashback irony I missed the first time around!)


First of all, you can get it here.

I watched it at a friend's house down the street from TFM's current internet-free headquarters. The total running time, with the extra stuff, stands at 3 hours and 43 minutes. Excellent. Among the best of the extras (highlight text to view)
--We get to see Merry and Pippin "swallowed" by the Ents.

--Was the thing with Eowyn offering Aragorn an awful stew in the theater version? I can't remember. Either way, her "really?" is priceless.

--An extended flashback sequence regarding how Boromir wound up in the Fellowship and not Faramir. This was context that many of the Tolkien-virgins who've only seen the movies might have needed.

--We get a song for Theoden's son's funeral. Okay, we all love how they stop for songs and poetry in the books, but I can see how this didn't make it into the movie.

--There's a line where Theoden says something like "I will not be buried here as my forebears were". And I just started giggling and couldn't stop. Theoden, what, praytell, happened to your four bears? I guess it's funnier when you hear people say it.

--The battle at Helm's Deep was left largely intact in the original...

--EXCEPT now we get to see the fleeing Uruk Hai's unfortunate fate at the hands of the Ents!

--Merry & Pippin gathering apples in the Ent-induced flood of Isengard, and stumbling upon, uh, a pretty significant stash.
There's probably more, but that's all I remember at first thought. Anyway, go get it! Only four weeks until RotK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home