The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

WE WILL NEVER ESCAPE OUR PAST... WELL, IT'S KIND OF OUR PRESENT ANYWAY

Remember that housewife in the Midwest who, a decade ago, was arrested for her involvement in the SLA a couple decades before that? Well, she's kinda like UCSB:
The University of California campus here has worked hard to shed its party image.

Chancellor Henry T. Yang has cracked down on notorious Halloween bashes and publicized the five Nobel prizes the faculty have won during the last seven years.

Playboy magazine isn't exactly helping his efforts.

First, it designated UC Santa Barbara as one of the country's Top 10 Party Schools in its September issue. Now, the men's magazine is auditioning and photographing coeds for a feature called "Girls of the Top 10 Party Schools," which will run in its May 2006 issue.
First of all, I'm not sure how building all the nice new dorms right next to the most notorious single street in all of the UC system constitutes "working hard to shed the party image."

Frankly, I never saw much evidence of this so-called "cracking down". Though I did notice in my final Halloween there that a smaller proportion of the boys on DP were wearing fake "Girls Gone Wild" t-shirts they printed in their apartments. Step in the right direction, I suppose.

The brief AP article goes on to note that "About 30 bikini-clad girls auditioned Monday . . . 70 to 100 more were to be seen by Wednesday."

Hmm. *glances at Facebook friends list* . . . no . . . don't think so . . . she'd never . . . she'd really never . . . oh if only . . . she wouldn't remember . . .

In other words, I don't think I know these people. Then again, I made it through my entire college career without really knowing anyone from the Greek community, so that must be why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home