The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

THE AVIATOR - THE REALLY SHORT TFM REVIEW

Until somebody changes my mind, Leo is my Oscar pick. And I'm nearly sold on Blanchett for best supporting actress as Hepburn.

That said, the movie does have a couple counts against it. First among them is the casting of small roles. Gwen Stefani? And Brent friggin Spiner? That took me out of the movie even more than Ted Danson's brief appearance in Saving Pvt Ryan, and I didn't think that was possible. Also, a "live" song at a party in the first five minutes of the movie is so clearly sung by Rufus Wainwright that it once again took me out of the element. Sure, his parents were in the movie somewhere too, but jeez, no modern pop stars singing in nonfiction period movies! Or given Madonna in Dick Tracy, fiction either!

On the other hand... the cinematography is beautiful from start to finish, it flies by even at almost three hours, and most of the supporting cast is quite good (John C Reilly, Alan Alda, Kate Beckinsale). TFM officially recommends it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home