The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Sunday, October 17, 2004

My personal embargo on generating new comments regarding the Mary Cheney reference is still in effect, so I will excerpt the money graf of Tim Noah's against-the-grain explanation of Kerry's comment without comment on my part:
I won't dispute that Kerry was using Mary Cheney to score a political point. But the political point was an entirely legitimate one, aimed, I believe, not at fundamentalists but at swing voters with libertarian leanings. Listen, Kerry was saying. This guy knows gay people, just like you and I do. So he must know that homosexuality isn't a "lifestyle choice." He must know that, and yet he pretends not to know it to score points with the religious right. How cynical can you get? And then he lends his support to a cockamamie Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage that even his right-wing-nut of a vice president can't stomach because his own daughter is gay. But even Cheney won't really speak out against this administration's exploitation of the gay-marriage issue to score cheap political points. Some father he is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home