The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Friday, October 29, 2004

Max gets an email from Bin Laden:
Greetings American fools and infidels.

I hope you like my new videotape. I'm in your election now. How cool is that?

Enough of this speculation about who I endorse. I ENDORSE YOUR TOTAL DESTRUCTION. You think I care about who wins Ohio? I WILL DESTROY OHIO. AND KANSAS. AND MISSOURI. ARGGHHH.
There's plenty more where that came from.

By the way, if we are going to look into exactly what it is Osama said in the tape, we might as well point out a possible factual inaccuracy. From ABC:
He said he was first inspired to attack the United States by the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon in which towers and buildings in Beirut were destroyed in the siege of the capital.

"While I was looking at these destroyed towers in Lebanon, it sparked in my mind that the tyrant should be punished with the same and that we should destroy towers in America, so that it tastes what we taste and would be deterred from killing our children and women," he said.
1982? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he working with the United States through much of the 1980's to resist the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan? Was he going through the motions for more than half a decade working with the CIA? It's more likely that he was highlighting this event in an attempt at standard jihadist boilerplate.

Now, to watch our media try to spin the tape in Bush's favor, if not because they are biased, then perhaps because they want to artificially manufacture a back-and-forth storyline; they're tired of all these pesky facts getting in the way of a Bush rebound.

UPDATE: Medium Lobster puts it another way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home