The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Friday, April 02, 2004

A couple of anti-RNC Convention links, mentioned by a caller on the Randi Rhodes Show:
Counter Convention.org, which looks like a protest organization site of the many-numbers-and-shades variety, and

RNC Not Welcome.org, which has a prominent link to a "direct action handbook". Uh oh.
Be on the lookout for conservative pundits and bloggers linking all these organizations to Stalin, Saddam, whoever.

In general, I'm not a big supporter of direct action. I remember once seeing a bumper sticker that said "direct action brings satisfaction". Problem is, that's about all it brings. I remember having some pretty active discussions about this issue a year ago, as the Iraq invasion began. I just imagined Bush and Rove and Cheney watching tv news reports about how a bunch of people my age blocked some intersections in San Francisco, and they'd light up some cigars and pass around the synthahol (for Bush, you know), saying "well ain't that the feather in our cap". Aside from that group of can-do go-getters who were planning to break into Vandenburg AFB and conduct sabotage (for which they might have been shot on sight if they went through with it, and furthermore let me mention that I don't endorse such things for a number of reasons), I don't see how direct action really changed much of anything in the initial days of Operation Inigo Montoya. Also, I'm not sure how a bunch of college students, whose views have been thoroughly stereotyped by mainstream public opinion, are supposed to play in Peoria.

I could go on...

BUT... All that being said, I don't think turning the island of Manhattan into a lawless riot-scene is the worst idea in the world. Just don't kill anybody please. Feel free to break some Starbucks windows, just make sure you find those how-to-deal-with-Clarke memos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home