The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Thursday, February 26, 2004

LENT. HEH. INDEED. [REALLY? -ED. REALLY.]

While somewhat spiritual, and interested in the faiths of all people worldwide and how they explain the world in which we live, I am by no means religious, and certainly not Christian.

But I love Lent!

What a great concept: Jesus makes the ultimate sacrifice (well, according to four pseudonymous men from the 2nd and 3rd centuries C.E.), and the way good Christians show their recognition is by giving up, say, chocolate candy. Man, he truly is the king of kings. (note: I just noticed that I made the exact same joke last year)

But nevertheless, it's a fun idea. Last year I observed Lent by giving up "centrist male movie stars of the action/drama variety". I went 40 painful, agonizing days without the likes of Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Robert De Niro, and so on.

This year, because I can't think of anything else, I'm going to be a blog nerd: For 40 days, including yesterday, I will read neither Instapundit nor Kausfiles.

Laurie wants to help me give up caffeine, but I'm knee-deep in winter quarter, so that's a project that will have to wait at least a little while, and besides, it may necessitate more than six weeks.

I should have kicked the insta-habit when Glenn called anti-war protesters "objectively pro-Saddam".

I should have kicked the insta-habit when he called the CIA agent leak scandal "bogus" because Valerie Plame posed for a photograph long after she was outed, an action completely irrelevant to the case, which involves two Senior Administration officials leaking the name of a CIA operative to Robert Novak. Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame could shoot a threesome video with Paris Hilton and it wouldn't matter.

And I definitely should have kicked the insta-habit when, after linking to a story saying that a stash of chemical weapons dating back to the 1940's was found in western China, he said this proves that "weapons can stay hidden for a long, long time". Nevermind, of course, that nobody was looking for weapons in China, and they were found there by accident.

So that's it, no more Instapundit for 40 days, possibly more after that. As for you, you're free to go read the whole thing if you want to.

And as a bonus Lent special, I'm throwing in Kausfiles, which is a glorified high-school gossip diary masquerading as political analysis. As TBogg points out, it seems that Mickey Kaus has something of a crush on that John Kerry guy.

(I was going to add The Corner, the National Review's group blog in case you don't know, but I don't really read it much anyway. And I kicked my Luskin habit a long time ago, thankfully.)

If I want to read conservative blogs, I'll check out the half-dozen blogs linked on the left (ha) side of the screen, plus I'll swing by Oxblog, Daniel Drezner, and a couple others. And yes, I'll still go to Drudge from time to time, because it's too much fun.

Have a happy, liberating Lent, everybody!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home