The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Saturday, August 09, 2003

THOM YORKE WILL SWEAT ON ME
&
CLARENCE CLEMONS WILL RELEASE HIS SPIT VALVE ON ME


(this will be the last time i brag for a while, i promise!)

The light at the end of the tunnel that is summer sessions is a twofold concert spectacular. Make no mistake, I'm enjoying both of my classes. But how can I think about analytical papers and research projects when on the horizon loom Bruce Springsteen (8/16, Pac Bell Park, field-level seats) and Radiohead (9/23, Shoreline Ampitheater, row J!)? The former I will be attending with my family (well, they are boomers) and official TFM Best Friend, Marissa. For the latter I'll be going with my UCSB crew. The interesting thing about the Radiohead show is that I'll be driving up from SB that day, and we plan to head back down afterwards, hopefully making it back by 4-430 in the morning on wednesday the 24th. But for those seats, it's more than worth it.

I had similar seats at Shoreline in June of 2000 for Roger Waters, the brains and balls behind Pink Floyd. Which is interesting, for Radiohead is sometimes ballyhooed as the modern Floyd. And that makes sense, given some of their similarities, including 1) daring sonic experimentation, 2) underrated musicianship, 3) their members' searing hatred of eachother during the recording process. On the other hand, the 90's Gilmour-era PF would play "Astronomy Domine" (from their 1967 debut album Piper at the Gates of Dawn), so why no more "Creep", you boys from Oxford you?

Ok, now I have to write about the Aum cult's 1995 sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway system. A bit of advice: If you have to read about it, for your own sanity you probably shouldn't do so while on BART.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home