The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

BEN FOLDS - SPEED GRAPHIC

Did everybody remember to order their copy of Ben Folds' new EP Speed Graphic today?

If not, head on over to Ben's new site, AttackedByPlastic, and pick it up!

From the 30-second samples supplied by the site, it appears that the recordings are more stripped-down than the highly-produced majesty we have come to know as Rockin the Suburbs. As a result, the 3-instrument mix of the songs seems to harken back to his debut album with the Five, back in '95. There are five songs, the first of which is a cover of The Cure's "In Between Days" (you know, the one that starts "yesterday got so old..."). The remaining four appear to consist of two gorgeous ballads ("Give Judy My Notice" and "Wandering") and a couple of upbeat tunes ("Dog", "Protection").

Folds is opening for Tori next week at the Concord Pav-, er, the Chronicle Pavilion in Concord, but I don't think I'm up to shelling out the dough for that right now. I'll wait until he tours in support of his new album, due early next year. (the next time I see him will be #5 for me). In the meantime, I may end up seeing Radiohead twice in a week! (Shoreline Ampitheater, then three days later at the Hollywood Bowl) Only problem is, it's during my first week back down in SB, but I think I can manage...

Speed Graphic is the first of three EP's Folds plans to release this year, including Sunny 16, due out in September, and an as-yet unnamed EP due out in November, all available at shows and from his website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home