The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Saturday, March 08, 2003

TFM AND LENT

I appreciate the value of sacrifice on some leves, and due to that, I have been pondering Lent.

I am not Catholic, nor even Christian, but I know a good sacrifice when I see one. Nevertheless, I have a curious thought: Jesus wandered around for years, gave up his possessions, urged others to do so, and gave his life to save the world and its inhabitants (or so the story goes). He's supposed to be impressed that some girl who drinks herself halfway to death on Mardi Gras decides to give up chocolate for a few weeks? It doesn't wash.

Well, by the Catholic church's reasoning, "yes". So what the heck? I might as well do something for Lent. I hadn't an idea of what I wanted to sacrifice (i don't watch much tv, i don't eat sweets really, etc). But then it hit me:

Centrist male movie stars of the action/drama variety.

I live with a bunch of film majors and movie buffs, and only one of them (official TFM roomate Josh) has significant extra-mainstream movie preferences. As a result of the other film buffs who monopolize the tv from time to time, I am subjected to the greatest hits of TNT, USA, and occasionally AMC. And it's always the male summer blockbuster stuff from the 80's and 90's. Or it's the Scorsese subset of Italian male movie stars.

For 40 (well, 37) days, they gotta go. That means:
No Bruce Willis
No Harrison Ford
No Mel Gibson
No James Bond movies
No Robert De Niro
No Al Pacino
No Nicholas Cage
There, that should do it. I hope you're proud, Jesus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home