The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Monday, February 24, 2003

SOMETHING PROFOUND... ON MTV!



In general, I am not a fan of music videos. Wait, let me correct that. There are videos that I like (such as, say, anything directed by Spike Jonze), but on the whole the medium itself has done a disservice to music.

Two fundamental problems?
1) I prefer my visual imagination rather than a director and cameras.
and
2) It's all about crossmarketing, attaching a pretty face, tight pants and large breasts to a song.*

But then the medium comes out and surprises me

Oldtime cool-for-life country man Jonny Cash has made the most heartbreaking, beautiful, sad video I have ever seen, for his cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". He does not hide from a second of his old age. He sits there, strumming his guitar, old and sad. Incredible. To watch the video, go here.

(btw the RS article I linked to has another interesting tidbit: former Rage frontman Zach de la Rocha is working with Trent Reznor, yes!)

* - though Shakira gets a reprieve because of 'Underneath Your Clothes', TFM has a soft spot for that one, hehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home