The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Sunday, January 12, 2003

AOL SUCKS AOL SUCKS AOL SUCKS AOL SUCKS...

I'm in the middle of writing a political science paper, but this just pissed me off so much that I have to commence bitching now.

The target of said bitching? America Online.

I've had some problems lately with the, um, political bent shown by our friends at AOL. As have many others (MWO did some coverage on the fact that AOL stuck Dubya on their fromt page like 5 consecutive days).

Now they've crossed a line.

Their "Welcome!" page, the first thing you see when you sign on, has a picture and headline concerning the SUV-terrorism advertisements that a group put together. Below the pic, the headline reads:
Do You Fuel Terrorism?
Group claims SUV Drivers
Unpatriotic, Aid U.S. Enemies
(Don't worry about the link, I just did that to simulate how the headline looks)

When I first glimpsed this window on AOL, and saw that "unpatriotic" was positioned right below "group". Maybe I'm a little paranoid about the media sometimes, but I do think there are secrets of bent to be found in mere formatting from time to time. AOL, I've always thought, has had a bit of Drudge-ism in their headlines.

As for me, I dig the ad campaign, additionally because it was started by, among others, the lovely, talented and independent Arianna Huffington. AOL's online polls (probably freeped) see it differently, saying overwhelmingly that "all [the ads] have is shock value" and SUV's are "useful vehicles", by margins of around 70-30 each. Could be worse, CNN could treat such polls as if they were scientific. Hmm wait, CNN and AOL are the same company. Shit.

Ok back to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home