The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Friday, November 15, 2002

MORE POTTER-BURNING FROM THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT
LEWISTON, Maine (AP) - A preacher led a group in shredding copies of Harry Potter books on the eve of the release of the movie "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets."

"I feel like I'm in a cutting mood tonight," the Rev. Douglas Taylor told 30 supporters before bringing out the scissors.

Taylor said he had wanted to burn the Potter books in protest, but the city would not issue him a permit. He settled for the book-chopping party Thursday night at the Ramada Inn.

(snip)

"It's no secret that I enjoy what I'm doing right now," Taylor said, ripping up a book. "Hallelujah," said supporter Walter Stradt as he tore and tossed a page out.

(snip)

Taylor charges the Potter books were full of witchcraft and pagan religion.

"You get involved in this," he said, gesturing toward a Potter book. "It's gonna make you dirty." (full story)
First off, I hope you enjoyed your stay at the Ramada Inn. Was the local Motel 6 full?

Also, those Harry Potter books are much better reads than that old lunky text you're sellin. You rather that these kids were rotting their brains with video games 24/7?

This preacher fellow should probably read the books too, my guess is that he hasn't. As Ben Harper sings, "before you knock it, try it first". Then and only then should you talk about being made "dirty". I'd say that the Christian right is "dirty" in that it tries to force a political agenda down our throats, yet retains its tax-exempt status.

Mr Taylor, you should also, then, talk to my once-friend Mark at Sacramento State, who essentially tried to blacklist me a couple of years ago just because I disagreed with him on religion. He's a good-old homosexuality-is-unnatural Xian, yet he's a huge fan of "Star Wars", another fantasy world with a quite blasphemous concept (the force). By all means, go and tell him about the fire and brimstone he tempts.

This is all silliness of course. The new movie is gonna make gazillions of dollars around the world, and there's nothing a few backward nuts can do to stop it. I'm not the biggest HP fan, I must say, I'm more eagerly anticipating The Two Towers next month. (as well as Star Trek: Nemesis, hehehe)

(BTW, it should be noted that many of these protesters were actually politcal operatives from Middle Earth, and now have plum jobs on the Lord of the Rings filmcrew.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home