The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Saturday, September 21, 2002

PATRIOT UPDATE II
George O'Leary edition

FULL DISCLOSURE... In 4 days I will be a fourth-year junior at UC Santa Barbara (a "redshirt junior", lol), who left college altogether for over a year and pursued performing arts, music, and Italian opera (believe it).
2ND FULL DISCLOSURE... Summer '02 grades at Berkeley: PolSci 129b = A, Geog 138 = A, Geog 130 = B+

Today, Notre Dame, just like Cal the week before, beat Michigan State in East Lansing. The Irish are coached by former Stanford head coach Tyrone Willingham. How did Willingham get that job? It was offered to him after the brief-but-disgraceful 6-day tenure of previous hiree George O'Leary. O'Leary resigned when it was discovered that he lied, blatantly, about his academic and athletic history. He claimed to have received a masters at NYU, when in fact he never received such a degree at all, say NYU officials.

How does this relate to the Patriot? A source has emailed your humble blogger with information that suggests that there are some quite Leary-esque misstatements in the biography pop-up of one member of the Patriot staff. The claim made by the emailer is that one staff member, who refers to themself as a UC Berkeley senior, flunked out of the school, hasn't been let back in, and has earned a sum of units comparable to those of a sophomore.

I'm not sure what to make of it, so I will again reiterate that these aren't my claims. Assuming the claims made are true (one person's word against another person's staff bio), I'm not about to hold such things against a person. After all, I've went through times of academic problems, as many have. And a number of the smartest people I have ever met have essentially flunked out of college, including one from my kindergarten class at Baywood. However, I would hold blatant lies and misrepresentations against people.

(note: The reason I haven't named the person here is that at TFM we won't be attacking people personally. We'll leave that to Ken Starr.)

If you ask me, there are worse misrepresentations and half-truths that have come across the pages and web-pages of the Patriot. Nevertheless, if it's true, "fool me once . . . shame on . . . uh . . . shame on you!"

Whether or not any of this is true, there is zero likelihood whatsoever that the bio in question will change; conservatives never admit that they're wrong. Also, whether or not any of this is true, it's still nice to know that I'm getting the all-important attention that I probably don't deserve. (:

[cheap ironic extra joke: maybe the first draft of the bio had the person inventing the internet and serving in the alabama national guard!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home