The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Sunday, October 03, 2004

QUICK QUESTION, THEN I HAVE TO GO

The Army Reserve is running some commercials, which I admit are pretty well done. The one I'm commenting on features visuals of empty offices and rooms, followed by captions that the occupant of said office/room is off doing something Army-related ("currently studing tropical diseases in guatemala", "currently training Iraqi police officers", etc). And that's effective enough.

One of the examples shows an empty location where an auto mechanic would work, and the caption is: "currently hunting Osama bin Laden".

Uhhhhhh...

Okay, I understand that hunting Osama is both a worthy and noble activity, and while it is not a magic bullet regarding stopping Al Qaeda, I want to see him caught. And I understand that the allure of that noble act would be a useful recruitment tool. But can't our armed forces do just a little bit better than sending reservist mechanics to the Afghan-Pakistani border to catch Bin Laden? Don't we have special forces for that? Look, I saw G.I. Jane, so I know we have people who've had a LOT more training than reservists.

Then again, using Army Reservists is a much better idea than that whole Afghan warlord idea the administration had about three years ago.

Today is a travel day... more tonight or tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home