The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

SAVE UNTIL I DELETE!

The big winner in CBS/SuperBowl/Janet'sBreastGate? TIVO!
When Justin Timberlake tore at Janet Jackson's leather outfit during Sunday's Super Bowl half-time show, TiVo users took notice.

Then they took notice again and again, using the digital video recorder to replay the event and to pause at the crucial moment in order to discern just what it was that Jackson had revealed to millions of Americans.

TiVo said that particular halftime stunt was the most replayed moment not only of the Super Bowl but of all TV moments that the young company has ever measured.

TiVo said it used its technology to measure audience behavior among 20,000 users during the Super Bowl. The exercise revealed a 180 percent spike in viewership at the time of the -- as Timberlake refers to it -- "wardrobe malfunction."
(full disclosure: My oldest brother has worked for TiVo since 1999, just as they were starting up)

Yes, I Tivo'd the Super Bowl. But amazingly enough, I didn't even notice the event in question at the time. By the end of the evening, I had deleted the game, since room had to be made for HBO's lineup of The Only Primetime Shows Worth Watching Anymore. (my Tivo box dates back to 1999 and has - sigh - a mere 14 hours of space, while the newest edition has 80)

And since I can't draw a straight line from Tivo to Reuters, this is a real story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home