The Facts Machine

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Wednesday, January 22, 2003

DEEP THOUGHTS ON UNDERWEAR
compelling social commentary, or something like that


This is probably my last entry before I dive deep into the Crusades for the evening.

Biking to the Music Library today, underwear crossed my mind. How did this happen? Well, as I biked alongside the San Rafael towers, rather leisurely, I was passed on the left by some girl, who I suppose was in a mad crazy hurry. At the time I was gazing at the ongoing construction work they're doing at San Raf (gee, maybe Cheney has something to do with it, hehe). When my eyes returned to the bike path in front of me, I was greeted by the unavoidable visual presence (due to low-cut pants, and a shirt riding up towards her backpack I suppose) of something that, well, would make Sisqo proud. I had no choice in this matter; I was helplessly confronted with butt-floss.

This wasn't the first time I noticed this phenomenon while biking to and from campus. Yet I never saw this during my first go-around at SB, in 1999 and 2000. My theory is: 1) For some reason, really low-cut pants are all the rage these days for trendy females. 2) Thongs, and "exciting underwear" (as they put it in the Monty Python movie) are certainly in demand for many female students at SB for whatever reason, and 3) The relative positions of human beings riding bicycles (i.e. hunched forward) makes this phenomenon unavoidably observable.

I am a fellow with a reasonably-well-developed feminine side, but I am indeed not a female. I do understand, to some extent, that one benefit of regularly wearing thong underwear is that it eliminates any lines through one's pants that are observable when one wears normal underwear. Perhaps to some females, such is unbearably embarassing. The problem is, could such biking-phenomena outweight said concerns on their part? On the other hand, if I had some time to ditch my studies and pursue some independent anthro research project, perhaps there is some overlap between exhibitionist types and propensity to wear crack-liners.

Needless to say, I am not a thong man. As a very-occasionally superficial male, I don't have an underwear preference. But if I may say so, there is a third way, hehe, an outside-the-box (figuratively, people) solution.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that this was the silliest, most non-sensical entry in the history of TFM. Slow news day, I suppose. Back to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home